This page will keep you informed of proper building policies and procedures required for construction work in Westover Hills

Contractor Requirements

  1. Noise Ordinance – no loud construction noise such as equipment running, trucking, jackhammer, roofing, etc., except between the hours of 8:00am-7:00pm M-F and 9:00am-6pm Saturday and none on Sunday unless an emergency exist.
  2. Port-O-Can – contractor must cover all signs on all port-o-cans.
  3. Signs – construction signs of any kind are not allowed except on vehicles.
  4. Soil Excavation – a $500. deposit and site plat showing soil erosion prevention methods is required when excavation is necessary. Rock (3″-5″) thick and 12″ deep is required on all entrances to projects that do not have a hard surface driveway.
  5. Flaggers – use of flaggers and signs are required when street is partially blocked with equipment use.
  6. Parking – parking on street will be kept to a minimum. Park on-site if possible and do notleave equipment or vehicles on street overnight.
  7. Materials – no material of any kind shall be put on street such as dirt, gravel, sand, brick and rock without obtaining authorization first.
  8. Roofing – city ordinance prohibits use of asphalt composition shingles. All roofing projects require a permit except for repairs.
  9. Fence – any fence in front of a home shall not be over four feet maximum, and shall not block view.
  10. Setback – all side property lines have a 15 foot setback & the back is 20 foot. The front setback is the building line shown on the original plat.
  11. Registration – all contractors shall be registered with Westover Hills that perform work within the city limits.
  12. All inspections are done the next business day.

Permits Required

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit. Permits are also required to repair, replace, move, alter, erect, or install fencing, retaining walls, swimming pools, complete re-roofing, windows, pergola, sprinkler system, and spa.

Work Exempt From Permit

Building: Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, flooring, cabinets, counter tops

Electrical: Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.